Chapter 4: Verses 26-42, a series of rich metaphors and drama on how the women in the pleasure grove try to attract Siddhartha
26. But what with the king’s command, and the prince’s gentleness and the power of intoxication and love, they soon abandoned timidity.
27. Then surrounded by the women, the prince wandered through the garden, like an elephant through the Himalayan forest, accompanied by a herd of females.
28. In that lovely grove he shone with the women in attendance on him, like Vivasvat surrounded by Apsarases in the pleasaunce of Vibhraja.
29. Then some of the young women there, pretending to be under the influence of intoxication, touched him with their firm, rounded, close-set, charming breasts.
30. One made a false stumble and clasped him by force with her tender arm-creepers, which hung down loosely from her drooping shoulders.
31. Another, whose mouth with copper-coloured lower lip smelt of spirituous liquor, whispered in his ear, “Listen to a secret”.
32. Another, who was all wet with unguents, said as if commanding him, “Make a line here “, in the hope of winning the touch of his hand.
33. Another repeatedly let her blue garments slip down under the pretext of intoxication, and with her girdle partly seen she seemed like the night with the lightning flashing.
34. Some walked up and down so as to make their golden zones tinkle and displayed to him their hips veiled by diaphanous robes.
35. Others grasped mango-boughs in full flower and leaned so as to display bosoms like golden jars.
36. Another lotus-eyed damsel came from a lotus-bed with a lotus and stood by the side of the lotus-faced prince as if she were Padmasri.
37. Another sang a sweet song with gesticulations to bring out the sense, reproving his indifference, as it were, with looks that said, “You deceive yourself”.
38. Another imitated him by drawing the bow of her brows on her fair countenance and making gestures in mimicry of his solemnity.
39. A damsel with fine rounded breasts and earrings shaking with her laughter mocked him out loud, saying, “Finish it, Sir”.
40. Similarly, as he was retreating, some bound him with ropes of garlands, and others restrained him with words that were like ankuses but were softened with innuendoes.
41. Another in order to bring about an argument seized a mango-spray and asked, stuttering with intoxication, “Whose flower now is this?”
42. One of them, modelling her gait and outward appearance on those of a man, said to him, “Sir, you have been conquered by women, conquer this earth now!”
p0007a26║ 爾時婇女眾， 慶聞優陀說，
p0007a27║ 增其踊悅心， 如鞭策良馬，
p0007a28║ 往到太子前， 各進種種術。
p0007a29║ 歌舞或言笑， 揚眉露白齒，
p0007b01║ 美目相眄睞， 輕衣現素身。
p0007b02║ 妖搖而徐步， 詐親漸習近，
p0007b03║ 情欲實其心， 兼奉大王旨，
p0007b04║ 慢形媟隱陋， 忘其慚愧情。
p0007b05║ 太子心堅固， 傲然不改容，
p0007b06║ 猶如大龍象， 群象眾圍遶，
p0007b07║ 不能亂其心， 處眾若閑居。
p0007b08║ 猶如天帝釋， 諸天女圍繞，
p0007b09║ 太子在園林， 圍繞亦如是。
p0007b10║ 或為整衣服， 或為洗手足，
p0007b11║ 或以香塗身， 或以華嚴飾。
p0007b12║ 或為貫瓔珞， 或有扶抱身，
p0007b13║ 或為安枕席， 或傾身密語。
p0007b14║ 或世俗調戲， 或說眾欲事，
p0007b15║ 或作諸欲形， 規以動其心。