Chapter 26: Verses 92-106, on the response of nature and heavenly beings to the Buddha’s parinirvana
92. Thereon, as the Sage entered Nirvana, the earth quivered like a ship struck by a squall,’ and firebrands also fell from the sky, as if cast by the elephants of the quarters.
93. A fire, without fuel or smoke and unfanned by the wind, arose burning the quarters, like a forest fire arising in the sky to burn the heavenly garden of Citraratha.
94. Fearsome thunderbolts fell, vomiting fire with hundreds of sparks, as if Indra was hurling them in his wrath, in order to overcome the Asuras in battle.
95. The winds blew violently, splintering the creepers and laden with dust, as if the peaks of the earth-bearing mountains had fallen when struck by raging tempests.
96. The moon’s light waned, and it shone with feeble colourless beams, like a royal goose, when it is covered with muddy water and its body is surrounded by young reeds.
97. Though the sky was cloudless and the moon was up, unholy darkness spread over the quarters, and at that moment the rivers ran with boiling water as if overcome by grief.
98. Then the sala trees that grew near by bent down and showered beautiful flowers, growing out of due season, on to the Buddha’s body to rest on the golden column of His form.
99. In the sky the five-headed Nagas stood motionless, gazing on the Sage with devotion, their eyes reddened with grief, their hoods closed and their bodies kept in restraint.
*100. In the affliction of their minds they gave vent to hot sighs, but, reflecting that the world is impermanent by nature, they refrained from grief and despised it.
101. In the divine abode the virtuous assembly of king Vaisravaria, which was engaged in the practice of the Law of final beatitude, did not grieve or shed tears by reason of their attachment to the Law.
102. The holy Suddhadhivasa deities, though they held the Great Seer in the utmost reverence, were composed and felt no agitation of mind; for they despised the nature of the world.
103. The gods, who rejoice in the good Law, the Gandharva kings, the Naga kings and the Yaksas, stood in the sky, mourning and absorbed in uttermost grief as if confounded.
104. But the hosts of Mara, who had obtained his heart’s desire, uttered loud laughs in their exultation, and showed their joy by gambols, hissing like snakes, dancing and the beating of tattoos on great drums, mrdahgas and patahas.
105. Then on the Bull of seers passing to the Beyond, the world became like a mountain whose peak has been shattered by a thunderbolt, or a despondent elephant when his must has ceased, or a bull whose form is deprived of its hump.106. From the loss of Him Who destroyed existence, the world became like the sky without the moon, or a pond whose lotuses have been withered by frost, or learning rendered futile by the absence of wealth.
p0049c28║ 以佛涅槃故， 大地普震動，
p0049c29║ 空中普雨火， 無薪而自焰。
p0050a01║ 又復從地起， 八方俱熾燃，
p0050a02║ 乃至諸天宮， 熾燃亦如是。
p0050a03║ 雷霆動天地， 霹靂震山川，
p0050a04║ 猶天阿修羅， 擊鼓戰鬪聲。
p0050a05║ 狂風四激起， 山崩雨灰塵，
p0050a06║ 日月無光暉， 清流悉沸涌，
p0050a07║ 堅固林萎悴， 華葉非時零。
p0050a08║ 飛龍乘黑雲， 垂五首淚流，
p0050a09║ 四王及眷屬， 含悲興供養。
p0050a10║ 淨居天來下， 虛空中列侍，
p0050a11║ 觀察無常變， 無憂亦無喜。
p0050a12║ 歎世違天師， 眼滅一何速？
p0050a13║ 八部諸天神， 遍滿虛空中，
p0050a14║ 散華以供養， 慼慼心不歡；
p0050a15║ 唯有魔王喜， 奏樂以自娛。
p0050a16║ 閻浮提失榮， 猶山頺巔崩，
p0050a17║ 大象素牙折， 牛王雙角摧。
p0050a18║ 虛空無日月， 蓮花遭嚴霜，
p0050a19║ 如來般涅槃， 世間悴亦然。
Chapter 26: Verses 82-91, on the Buddha comforting his disciples, and entering parinirvana
82. At these words of the noble Aniruddha, the Buddha, though He knew the matter, again took cognizance of it and addressed them affectionately, in order to strengthen the minds of the faithful:—
83. “Since a being may last for an aeon and yet must come to destruction, there is certainly no such thing as mutual union. Having completed the task both for Myself and for others, there is no gain in My further existence.
84. All those in the heavens and on earth, who were to be converted by Me have been saved and set in the stream. Hereafter this My Law shall abide among men through the successive generations of mendicants.’
85. Therefore recognize the true being of the world and be not anxious: for separation must be. Knowing the world to be of this nature, so strive that it may be thus no more.
86. When the darkness has been illuminated with the lamp of knowledge and the spheres of existence have been seen to be without substance, contentment ensues at the suppression of the life-force, as at the cure of an illness.’
87. Who is not pleased at the cessation of life, as at the destruction of calamity-causing enemies, when the stream of the ocean of existence called the body, which is to be abandoned with the opposites, is cut off?
88. Everything, whether moving or stationary, passes away; therefore take ye good heed. The time for My entering Nirvana has arrived. Do not lament; these are My last words.”
89. ‘Then the Best of those who know the trances entered the first trance at that moment, and emerging therefrom went on to the second, and so in due order He entered all of them without omitting any.
90. Thereon having passed through all the trances, the group of nine attainments, in the upward order, the Great Seer following the reverse order returned to the first trance again.91. Emerging therefrom also, He rose in due order again to the fourth trance, and emerging from the practice of the fourth trance, He passed to realization of the eternal peace.
p0049c07║ 佛以阿那律， 種種憂悲說，
p0049c08║ 復以慈愍心， 安慰而告言：
p0049c10║ 異體而和合， 理自不常俱。
p0049c11║ 自他利已畢， 空住何所為？
p0049c12║ 天人應度者， 悉已得解脫。
p0049c13║ 汝等諸弟子， 展轉維正法，
p0049c14║ 知有必磨滅， 勿復生憂悲，
p0049c15║ 當自勤方便， 到不別離處。
p0049c16║ 我已燃智燈， 照除世闇冥，
p0049c17║ 世皆不牢固， 汝等當隨喜。
p0049c18║ 如親遭重病， 療治脫苦患，
p0049c19║ 已捨於苦器， 逆生死海流，
p0049c20║ 永離眾苦患， 是亦應隨喜。
p0049c21║ 汝等善自護， 勿生於放逸，
p0049c22║ 有者悉歸滅， 我今入涅槃。」
p0049c23║ 言語從是斷， 此則最後教。
p0049c24║ 入初禪三昧， 次第九正受，
p0049c25║ 逆次第正受， 還入於初禪，
p0049c26║ 復從初禪起， 入於第四禪，
p0049c27║ 出定心無寄， 便入於涅槃。
Chapter 26: Verses 71-81, on the disciples being anxious over the Buddha’s impending passing into parinirvana
71. I have done all that should be done by a compassionate sympathetic Master, Who aims at others good; do you apply your-selves and bring your minds to tranquillity.
72. Then, wherever you may be, on the mountains or in empty dwellings or in the forest, ever be strenuous in religions practice and do not give way to remorse.
73. It is for the physician, after full consideration of their constitutions, to explain the proper medicines to his patients, but it is the sick man, not the physician, who is responsible for attending to their administration at the proper time.
174. When the guide has pointed out the magnificent straight level road which is free from danger, and those who hear him do not proceed along it but go to destruction, there is no debt in the way of instruction still due from the guide.
75. Whoever of you has any desire about My teaching of the Four Truths, suffering and the rest, let him confidently speak out to Me at once and cut off doubt.”
76. When the Great Seer thus spoke aloud, they were free from doubt and said nothing. The saintly Aniruddha, penetrating their minds with his mind, then uttered these words:—
77. “Though the wind cease from movement, the sun become cold and the moon hot, yet it is not possible to prove the four steps (of the Truths) to be false in the world.
78. What is declared to be suffering is not pleasure; there is no other producer of suffering than that which is its cause; liberation inevitably comes from suppression of the cause, and the path thereto is certainly the means.
79. Therefore, 0 Great-souled One, the disciples have no doubt about the Four Truths; but those who have not accomplished their object suffer, thinking that the Teacher is about to pass away.
80. Even he in this assembly, who from the newness of his vows had not yet seen the goal, sees it to-day in its entirety, as by a flash of lightning, through this Your sermon.81. But even those, for whom there is nothing remaining to be done and who have crossed to the further shore of the ocean of existence, are anxious in heart on hearing that the perfect Lord is about to pass away.”
p0049b13║ 安慰慈悲業， 所應我已畢，
p0049b14║ 汝等當精勤， 善自修其業，
p0049b15║ 山林空閑處， 增長寂靜心。
p0049b16║ 當自勤勸勉， 勿令後悔恨。
p0049b17║ 猶如世良醫， 應病說方藥，
p0049b18║ 抱病而不服， 是非良醫過。
p0049b19║ 我已說真實， 顯示平等路，
p0049b20║ 聞而不奉用， 此非說者咎。
p0049b21║ 於四真諦義， 有所不了者，
p0049b22║ 汝今悉應問， 勿復隱所懷。」
p0049b23║ 世尊哀愍教， 眾會默然住。
p0049b24║ 時阿那律陀， 觀察諸大眾，
p0049b25║ 默然無所疑， 合掌而白佛：
p0049b27║ 如是四種惑， 世間悉已無。
p0049b28║ 苦集滅道諦， 真實未曾違，
p0049b29║ 如世尊所說， 眾會悉無疑。
p0049c01║ 唯世尊涅槃， 一切悉悲感，
p0049c02║ 不於世尊說， 起不究竟想。
p0049c03║ 正使新出家， 情未深解者，
p0049c04║ 聞今慇懃教， 疑惑悉已除。
p0049c05║ 已度生死海， 無欲無所求，
p0049c06║ 今皆生悲戀， 歎佛滅何速？」
Chapter 1: Verses 16-27, on heavenly beings honouring Siddhartha
16. Two streams of water, clear as the rays of the moon and having the virtue, one of heat, one of cold, poured forth from the sky and fell on his gracious head to give his body refreshment by their contact.
17. He lay on a couch with a gorgeous canopy, feet of beryl and framework glistening with gold, and round him the Yaksa lords stood reverently on guard with golden lotuses in their hands.
18. The dwellers in heaven, themselves remaining invisible, held up in the sky a white umbrella and, bowing their beads in obeisance before his majesty, muttered the highest blessings that be might obtain Enlightenment.
19. The mighty snakes in their thirst for the most excellent Law fanned him and, with eyes shining with devotion, bestrewed him with mandara flowers, offices they had performed for the Buddhas of the past.
20. And gladdened by the virtue of his birth in this fashion, the Suddhadhivasa deities rejoiced in their pure natures, though passion was extinct in them, for the sake of the world drowned in suffering.
21. At his birth the earth, nailed down as it was with the king of mountains, trembled like a ship struck by the wind; and from the cloudless sky there fell a shower perfumed with sandalwood and bringing blue and pink lotuses.
22. Delightful breezes blew, soft to the touch and wafting down heavenly raiment; the very sun shone more brightly and the fire, unstirred, blazed with gracious flames.
23. In the north-eastern corner of the royal quarters a well of clear water appeared of itself, at which the household in amazement carried out their rites as at a holy bathing-place.
24. And troops of heavenly beings, petitioners for the Law, thronged the grove to wait on him, and in their wonderment they cast flowers from the trees, though out of season.
25. At that time the noxious creatures consorted together and did each other no hurt. Whatever diseases there were among mankind were cured too without effort.
26. The birds and deer did not call aloud and the rivers flowed with calm waters. The quarters became clear and the sky shone cloudless; the drums of the gods resounded in the air.<div id=”chinese”>27. When the Guru was born for the salvation of all creatures, the world became exceeding peaceful, as though, being in a state of disorder, it had obtained a ruler. Kamadeva alone did not rejoice.T04n0192_p0001b15║ 應時虛空中， 淨水雙流下，
T04n0192_p0001b16║ 一溫一清涼， 灌頂令身樂。
T04n0192_p0001b17║ 安處寶宮殿， 臥於琉璃床，
T04n0192_p0001b18║ 天王金華手， 奉持床四足。
T04n0192_p0001b19║ 諸天於空中， 執持寶蓋侍，
T04n0192_p0001b20║ 承威神讚歎， 勸發成佛道。
T04n0192_p0001b21║ 諸龍王歡喜， 渴仰殊勝法，
T04n0192_p0001b22║ 曾奉過去佛， 今得值菩薩。
T04n0192_p0001b23║ 散曼陀羅花， 專心樂供養，
T04n0192_p0001b24║ 如來出興世， 淨居天歡喜。
T04n0192_p0001b25║ 已除愛欲歡， 為法而欣悅，
T04n0192_p0001b26║ 眾生沒苦海， 令得解脫故。
T04n0192_p0001b27║ 須彌寶山王， 堅持此大地，
T04n0192_p0001b28║ 菩薩出興世， 功德風所飄，
T04n0192_p0001b29║ 普皆大震動， 如風鼓浪舟。
T04n0192_p0001c01║ 栴檀細末香， 眾寶蓮花藏，
T04n0192_p0001c02║ 風吹隨空流， 繽紛而亂墜，
T04n0192_p0001c03║ 天衣從空下， 觸身生妙樂。
T04n0192_p0001c04║ 日月如常度， 光耀倍增明，
T04n0192_p0001c05║ 世界諸火光， 無薪自炎熾，
T04n0192_p0001c06║ 淨水清涼井， 前後自然生。
T04n0192_p0001c07║ 中宮婇女眾， 怪歎未曾有，
T04n0192_p0001c08║ 競赴而飲浴， 皆起安樂想。
T04n0192_p0001c09║ 無量部多天， 樂法悉雲集，
T04n0192_p0001c10║ 於藍毘尼園， 遍滿林樹間。
T04n0192_p0001c11║ 奇特眾妙花， 非時而敷榮，
T04n0192_p0001c12║ 凶暴眾生類， 一時生慈心，
T04n0192_p0001c13║ 世間諸疾病， 不療自然除。
T04n0192_p0001c14║ 亂鳴諸禽獸， 恬默寂無聲，
T04n0192_p0001c15║ 萬川皆停流， 濁水悉澄清，
T04n0192_p0001c16║ 空中無雲翳， 天鼓自然鳴。
T04n0192_p0001c17║ 一切諸世間， 悉得安隱樂，
T04n0192_p0001c18║ 猶如荒難國， 忽得賢明主。
T04n0192_p0001c19║ 菩薩所以生， 為濟世眾苦，
T04n0192_p0001c20║ 唯彼魔天王， 震動大憂惱。
Chapter 1: Verses 11-15, on Siddhartha’s pleasing form and first words
11. When in due course he had issued from the womb, he appeared as if he had descended from the sky, for he did not come into the world through the portal of life; and, since he had purified his being through many aeons, he was born not ignorant but fully conscious.
12. With his lustre and steadfastness he appeared like the young sun come down to earth, and despite this his dazzling brilliance, when gazed at, he held all eyes like the moon.
13. For with the glowing radiance of his limbs he eclipsed, like the sun, the radiance of the lamps, and, beauteous with the hue of precious gold, he illumined all the quarters of space.
14. He who was like the constellation of the Seven Seers walked seven steps with such firmness that the feet were lifted up unwavering and straight and that the strides were long and set down firmly.15. And looking to the four quarters with the bearing of a lion, he uttered a speech proclaiming the truth “I am born for Enlightenment for the good of the world; this is my last birth in the world of phenomena.”
T04n0192_p0001a29║ 漸漸從胎出， 光明普照耀，
T04n0192_p0001b01║ 如從虛空墮， 不由於生門。
T04n0192_p0001b02║ 修德無量劫， 自知生不死，
T04n0192_p0001b03║ 安諦不傾動， 明顯妙端嚴。
T04n0192_p0001b04║ 晃然後胎現， 猶如日初昇，
T04n0192_p0001b05║ 觀察極明耀， 而不害眼根。
T04n0192_p0001b06║ 縱視而不耀， 如觀空中月，
T04n0192_p0001b07║ 自身光照耀， 如日奪燈明，
T04n0192_p0001b08║ 菩薩真金身， 普照亦如是。
T04n0192_p0001b09║ 正真心不亂， 安庠行七步，
T04n0192_p0001b10║ 足下安平趾， 炳徹猶七星。
T04n0192_p0001b11║ 獸王師子步， 觀察於四方，
T04n0192_p0001b12║ 通達真實義， 堪能如是說。
T04n0192_p0001b13║ 此生為佛生， 則為後邊生，
T04n0192_p0001b14║ 我唯此一生， 當度於一切。
Chapter 1: Verses 1-10, on the birth of the Buddha-to-be
1. There was a king of the unconquerable Sakyas, Suddhodana by name, of the race of lksvaku and the peer of Iksvaku in might. Pure he was in conduct and beloved of his people as the moon in autumn.
2. That counterpart of Indra had a queen, a very Saci, whose splendour corresponded to his might. In beauty like Padma, in steadfastness like the earth, she was called Mahamaya, from her resemblance to the incomparable Maya.
3. This ruler of men, dallying with his queen, enjoyed, as it were, the sovereign glory of Vaisravana. Then without defilement she received the fruit of the womb, just as knowledge united with mental concentration bears fruit.
4. Before she conceived, she saw in her sleep a white lord of elephants entering her body, yet she felt thereby no pain.
5. Maya, the queen of that god-like king, bore in her womb the glory of her race and, being in her purity free from weariness, sorrow and illusion, she set her mind on the sin-free forest.
6. In her longing for the lonely forest as suited to trance, she asked the king to go and stay in the grove called Lumbini, which was gay like the garden of Caitraratha with trees of every kind.
7. The lord of the earth, full of wonder and joy, recognised that her disposition was noble from her possession of piety, and left the fortunate city, in order to gratify her, not for a pleasure excursion.
8. In that glorious grove the queen perceived that the time of her delivery was at hand and, amidst the welcome of thousands of waiting-women, proceeded to a couch overspread with an awning.
9. Then as soon as Pusya became propitious, from the side of the queen, who was hallowed by her vows, a son was born for the weal of the world, without her suffering either pain or illness.10. As was the birth of Aurva from the thigh, of Prthu from the hand, of Mandhatr, the peer of Indra, from the head, of Kaksivat from the armpit, on such wise was his birth.
T04n0192_p0001a08║ 甘蔗之苗裔， 釋迦無勝王，
T04n0192_p0001a09║ 淨財德純備， 故名曰淨飯，
T04n0192_p0001a10║ 群生樂瞻仰， 猶如初生月。
T04n0192_p0001a11║ 王如天帝釋， 夫人猶舍脂，
T04n0192_p0001a12║ 執志安如地， 心淨若蓮花，
T04n0192_p0001a13║ 假譬名摩耶， 其實無倫比。
T04n0192_p0001a14║ 於彼象天后， 降神而處胎。
T04n0192_p0001a15║ 母悉離憂患， 不生幻偽心，
T04n0192_p0001a16║ 厭惡彼諠俗， 樂處空閑林。
T04n0192_p0001a17║ 藍毘尼勝園， 流泉花果茂，
T04n0192_p0001a18║ 寂靜順禪思， 啟王請遊彼。
T04n0192_p0001a19║ 王知其志願， 而生奇特想，
T04n0192_p0001a20║ 勅內外眷屬， 俱詣彼園林。
T04n0192_p0001a21║ 爾時摩耶后， 自知產時至，
T04n0192_p0001a22║ 偃寢安勝床， 百千婇女侍。
T04n0192_p0001a23║ 時四月八日， 清和氣調適，
T04n0192_p0001a24║ 齋戒修淨德， 菩薩右脇生，
T04n0192_p0001a25║ 大悲救世間， 不令母苦惱。
T04n0192_p0001a26║ 優留王股生， 卑偷王手生，
T04n0192_p0001a27║ 曼陀王頂生， 伽叉王腋生。
T04n0192_p0001a28║ 菩薩亦如是， 誕從右脇生，
Buddha lives, as does Jesus, in our hearts. Ever wondered why this blog is named buddhalives? In one sense, it is meant to talk about how Buddha continues to be very much alive in the hearts of Buddhists. The other is obvious, because I am talking about the lives of the Buddha.
The beautiful effort made by the Christians in the video to tell people about their love for Christ, and vice versa, is a wonderful reminder to Buddhists to stand testament to their practice in their own special ways.